State Department Federal Credit Union (SDFCU) membership comes with access to low loan rates, free checking, rewards and many exclusive services.
SDFCU is a not-for-profit financial services provider serving over 80,000 members worldwide. Visit about us to learn more about SDFCU.
Join in Three Easy Steps
Check your Eligibility
Join via D.O.S. affiliation, association membership, family relation, and more.
Gather your Information
Home address, Social Security number, driver's license / identification card.
Open your Account
Membership starts with a Savings account. It takes $1 to open, which we'll provide. Apply online or in a branch.
Foreign Service, Traveling, and Living Overseas
- ATM and foreign transaction fee reimbursement options on checking accounts
- Mortgage loan while living overseas and finance as a primary home
- Auto financing available even if car is garaged overseas
- No foreign transaction fees on any of our credit card options
- Competitively low wire transfer fees
Resources & Services
- Investment services
- Trusted real estate partnership
- Car-buying resources
- Life, home, auto and AD&D insurance options
- Free credit score access online or on our mobile app
- Coindexter Club youth financial education
Find answers to the most common questions around SDFCU membership.
- Why Join SDFCU?
State Department Federal Credit Union Credit is a safe and dependable, not-for-profit financial services provider. As a members-owned financial institution, SDFCU answers only to its members and the financial wellbeing of SDFCU members is our priority. SDFCU serves members located all around the world.
- What is the benefit of becoming a SDFCU member?
State Department Federal Credit Union (SDFCU) membership comes with access to low loan rates and high-yield savings, no fees checking, credit card rewards and many exclusive services.
- Why should I join a credit union instead of a traditional bank?
Traditional banking institutions are in the business of making money for its stockholders, with the goal making a significant profit for that group every year.
Every SDFCU member is an owner, so any profit made by the credit union is returned to its members in the form of lower interest rates, lower fees, and higher saving deposit rates.
- Who is eligible to become a SDFCU member?
There are many ways to qualify for SDFCU membership. For example, you can join through Department of State affiliation, association membership, family relation, in addition to other eligibility options available. See how you can join.
- Is your money federally insured with SDFCU?
Yes. Your deposits are insured to at least $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), a U.S. government agency.
- Can I become a SDFCU member if I am self-employed?
Yes, you can qualify through your relationship with an existing member or by joining the American Consumer Council (ACC). You will be guided through this in the application process.
- Can I join SDFCU with a low credit score?
SDFCU will access your credit report, but we do not use your credit score as a determining factor for membership approval.
- Is there a minimum deposit required to become a member?
Not from you! SDFCU membership starts with a Savings Account. We require an initial minimum deposit of $1 into that Savings (Share) Account and we provide that dollar.